Monday, April 2, 2018

Picking at bones for peace (pardon the expression)


Sometimes, in order to feel at peace, I have to write about the bones I'm picking. This morning, what's bugging me is certain other people who want everyone to behave just as they do.

Recently, I heard, through a very trusted source that someone thinks I'm a user, due to the fact that I'm ill and can't work and my husband pays the bills. And to make matters worse, I have realized that it's because they don't take me seriously as his wife.

And ya, I get it. I'm much older than my husband. And he is my common-law husband, not my “real” husband whatever that means. Maybe on the surface, I don't appear to be a mother's dearest wish for her son. But I spend most of every single day doing things for my husband that he does not have the time or energy to do. Our relationship is a huge part of why he is monetarily and otherwise successful.

Our relationship is very positive. It strengthens us both. Neither of us takes advantage of the other. We both contribute a lot to the relationship. We're both extremely happy. My husband has no problem supporting me financially because he knows very well that what I do for him more than justifies it.

And we both know that in the event, and this event is coming, believe me, in the event that I can no longer do what I do for him, we will still be together as long as we are both breathing. Why? Because we love and care about each other.

Our relationship is not based on who owes who or who does more for who. We're just not those people. Arghhhh! Has this person never heard the portion of the wedding vows that refers to staying together in sickness or in health? For richer or poorer? For better or worse?

Do they not realize that if the situation were reversed, I would do exactly the same for him? I mean, for heavens sake, we've been together 11 years. This is not a fly by night thing. This is permanent!

My husband and I may have never recited vows in front of our family and friends, but we live them daily. In fact, I would venture to say that when compared to many people we know who are “really” married, our relationship stacks up pretty favorably.

Oh, and another picked bone: If one more person gossips about how we are enabling the people we love by being nice to them, helping them, guiding them through their their struggles, etc.. I think that, as peaceful as I am, I'm going to punch them straight in the face. Hows that for keeping the peace?

This is our choice. Sure, it can be frustrating at times. But family is about love. It's about working together. It's about forgiveness. It's about lending a hand and being kind and patient. Certainly, no one wants to be taken advantage of. But turning away someone you love who is in need (or suggesting someone else turn away someone they love) says a whole hell of a lot more about the kind of person you are than it does about how much someone else is taking advantage or being taking advantage of.

I'm a good person, dammit. I'm going to keep being kind to people. And my husband is going to keep being kind to people, me included. We're going to keep being kind to each other. We're going to smother each other and everyone around us with kindness, generosity and love whether you like it or not. It's our life, not yours. #DontJudge #BeNice

Ahhhh …...peace at last.

No comments:

Post a Comment