Wednesday, March 16, 2016

We are not ALL Rocky Mountain High


If you live in Colorado, you feel me, right? I mean, just because I choose to live here, doesn't mean I get high. I don't. I do, however, get so tired of that silly stereotype! Now, I don't really care what other people do in this respect. I have nothing against pot smokers. In fact, some of the people I'm closest to have been known to imbibe here and there. It's just not that big a deal to me.

Of course, THAT probably does have something to do with living in Colorado. Because we tend to be pretty accepting of other people's differences here. We also understand that whether or not we smoke pot, it's still a benefit to us in the form of tax revenue. We do get that we are lucky to live in a state where, if you so choose, you can smoke a little weed without dire consequences.

And we don't get a case of the giggles or make stupid, stereotypical jokes directed at people who live elsewhere. Because we know how it feels when people think you're someone that you're not.

Now, I admit, I might be the type of person someone would expect to smoke pot. I'm an aging hippie liberal. I think progressively. I don't get stuck in conservative ruts. I think freely and for myself, rather than blindly following traditions. Oh, and I'm a vegan too.

So, ya, I get it. One might assume that I smoke pot. But that's just it. We should never assume anything about anyone.

Folks, just because we live in Colorado, well, that does not mean that we smoke pot. Not only that, but some of us don't even ski or hike or run marathons or even drink Coors! Some of us have never even been to the mountains! Perish the thought!

But it does happen, you know? Not everyone can afford to ski. Not everyone has a vehicle to go to the mountains in. Not everyone is in the kind of shape it takes to run a marathon or hike their happy butt up a mountain, either. Not everyone drinks beer, let alone, Coors.

And not everyone in Colorado smokes pot!

I heard that cousin love is legal in some states. Does that mean everyone there is doing the nasty with their blood relatives? Of course not.

So, knock it off, will you? We're all tired of the unnecessary and highly annoying, suggestive winks and comments. We're grownups here. We understand that not everyone is the same and we give people the freedom to make their own choices. Now, that's something I wouldn't mind being known for.

But I don't smoke pot and I don't appreciate people assuming that I do.

We are not ALL Rocky Mountain High, here in Colorado.

And that's all I have to say about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment