Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Is working at what you love really the best idea?

Somehow, doing what i love for a living takes some of the passion out of it.
I don't know how you feel about it. I do know that it's not for me. It doesn't bring me the peace I'm seeking. I love to write. I love to take photos. I love to paint and draw and decorate. And I detest when I am obligated to do any of it. Of course, maybe that's just me. I am kind of a rebel. But seriously? Doing what I love to earn money? Well, it kind of takes some of the oomph out of it. That's why I just do it for fun now. If I earn anything from it, that's just a bonus.

And yes, I know people who insist that they love working at what they love. I've also seen more than a few of them cursing and swearing at their computers, both on social media and in person. Which doesn't seem like much fun to me. Unless, of course, you're into letting drama and frustration permeate the activities you love.

I guess what I'm saying is that being an artist whose art is dictated by someone else's taste, judgment or whims or being a slave to your craft, well, it kind of sucks and stagnates creativity. Because there is always the customer to consider. And maybe I'd rather not have the negative aspects of working for a living spill over into the things I hold most dear. I'd rather my writing and art remain purely enjoyable. Know what I mean, jellybean?

No comments:

Post a Comment