Friday, October 28, 2016

Would you like to swing on a star?

Not me. Night stars are incredibly beautiful. They're the subject of many of my paintings. Still, I'm a true down to earth, feet on the ground sort of girl. Or, at least when I do soar, it's on my own terms. I suppose some might call me stodgy, except that I'm a definite left winger. LOL Maybe boring is a better term. I'm pretty much content with the simple things. They make me happy.

I've also never had much use the other kind of stars. Fame, fortune and all that goes with it doesn't appeal to me. I don't care which celebrity is pregnant, has just been arrested or what substance they're addicted to either. It's not that I think they're horrible people. In fact, it's that I think they're no different than you or I. Plus, every human being deserves a little privacy.

I don't have much use for flaunting my possessions either. Which is good, because I don't have many.

I lead a simple life. I like that. 

I don't say that with smugness, either. To each his own, as they say. You may enjoy reading about the hi-jinks of celebrities, while shopping like a “fashionista.” Have at it. It's just not for me. I'll be reading a book, writing, gardening or riding my bike.

I was raised in an era where pop culture didn't influence our daily lives so heavily. I guess that’s why I have no desire to buy into it.

Sales pitches are wasted on me. If you want me to buy what you're selling, the best approach is not to approach me at all. Don't stalk me on social media, trying to convince me your idea or product is worthy of my hard earned dollars. Don't park yourself outside the local grocery with your donation box. That's the quickest way to get me to say no. 

Unless you have Girl Scout cookies, of course.

I am not star struck, sparkly or blinded by the light. I'm not stupid, either. I know manipulation when I see it. I don't like things just because I'm supposed to. 

I think about the consequences of my lifestyle and don't follow the crowd unless they're doing something I agree with. Tradition can be a beautiful thing, but some traditions have traditionally brought us nothing but trouble.

So, as I said, to each his own. Would you like to swing on a star? Go for it. I'll be down here with my feet firmly planted. It suits me.

No comments:

Post a Comment