Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Just “doing it” for peace


Part of my peace path involves embracing yet another different way of life. I love change. I thrive on it. Mainly because change brings or signifies growth and that's never a bad thing. So, I'm moving into the more doing, less dreaming zone.

By the way, if you thought I was talking about the other kind of doing it, congratulations. You just fell for my not so blatant, quite obviously misleading headline. I'm not very good at being clever. Sorry.

Anyway, you're here now, so gotcha! I guess.

In the past, I am guilty of spending way too much time dreaming, talking and writing about my own idea of the optimum life, photographing everything I see, etc. and not enough time on actual living. I've missed some of a lot of valuable personal experiences, conversations and such this way.

Sometimes it's just more important to “be in the moment” than it is to capture that moment on paper, whether in a photo or in writing. Who knew?

I get my inspiration in a variety of ways. This time, it was from a Jim Gaffigan comedy routine where he talks about how we are always taking pictures in lieu of actually creating memories. Or at least that's what I took from it.

And also from the saying, “Be a lighthouse, not a sponge.”

And also, sorry to say, by watching others and myself, heads in phones or computers, oblivious to the world of wonder and the beautiful people in it, spinning happily around them, spouting miles of rhetoric, both welcome and unwelcome. Need I say more?

So, now, I'm determined to light the world with my shining example, if you can call it that, instead of mostly talking about it, writing about it or taking pictures of it. Oh, I'll still talk, write and take pictures. (Obviously, since here we are.) Just not as much. The plan is to be and do, more than I talk, snap and write.

Which brings us to social networking. I never was very social. Plus, my opinions are somewhat eccentric compared to most. So, naturally, it's not working out too well for me. Generally speaking, I come on the book of faces and tweety birds thinking, “What a great day!” and come off thinking, “What the hell is wrong with the world?”

For that reason, social networking is now being placed in the category of “doing less of.” No offense intended toward the great friends I've met through social media. Love them all. Just don't want to spend ¾ of my life in a virtual environment.

I was raised in a time of family reunions and get togethers, card playing, board games, tending gardens, hanging out at the beach, walking through the woods, communing with nature and simply spending loads of personal time with friends and family.

Trying to get back there is something I feel would bring more peace and positive direction to my life. So there you go. Like I said, I'm “just doing it” for peace. Do more. Buy less. Talk less. Preach less. Just live! Enjoy the moment! Etc. etc. That's the idea. Now off to do just that!

And of course, it goes without saying that I'll still write about it, here and there. I mean, come on. I am a writer. Just don't plan to spend the entire day at it, that's all. Life is short. Got shit to do, you know?

No comments:

Post a Comment