Wednesday, April 12, 2017

My social networking persona


A little while back, I was reminded of something I've been meaning to write about for a while. It's somewhat connected to my quest for peace, so I thought, “Why not?”

It has to do with mistaken impressions. I had to giggle when more than a few friends on Facebook commented that they were glad I had “calmed down” as a side effect of my quest for inner peace.

Why is that so funny?

Well, folks, brace yourselves. Facebook is probably the only place where I am not “calmed down.”

You see, in “real” life, I'm what most people would call downright boring. Just the thought of me needing to calm down is hysterical, in my opinion. But then, I know me pretty well. At home, you'll mostly find me quietly puttering around the house and garden.

The only reason it seems as if I have calmed down to those who only interact with me on social media is because they don't really know me. They only know what I post on social media. And my causes are important to me. Passionately so.

But obviously, at home, I'm not posting memes about my passions and beliefs. I'm just living according to them. And since my passions and beliefs are largely peaceful ones (doing no harm and such like) at home, I'm one of the calmest people you'll ever come across.

Now, I'm not saying that the person I am on Facebook and other social networks isn't me. I feel what “social media me” feels. I share her beliefs. I practice what I Facebook preach. She is a part of me. But there is so much more to me than who I am when social media upsets me. And that's it right there.

Social media is the only place where I'm not calm, actually.

Oh, I'm no absolute saint at home, either. I have my bad days. But for the most part, people in my “real life” see me as quiet; shy even; an introvert of the highest degree. Which I am.

So, when people tell me they're glad I've calmed down, I just slap a smile on the outside and giggle to myself on the inside. Because in “real life” the only way I could be calmer is if I literally dropped dead.

I guess the lesson for me to take away here is to not be so judgmental of people, especially if I only know them on social media. Because being at peace with and accepting of one's self also requires being at peace with and accepting of others.

Who knew?

No comments:

Post a Comment