Sunday, January 31, 2016

5 Reasons Facebook is ruining your relationships

Some people don't want to "Be Like Bill"
Obviously, if you spend too much time on Facebook, your relationships will suffer from lack of interaction. When that happens, you may wake up and realize you're living way too much of your life in the social networking zone. What are some other ways Facebook wreaks havoc on your relationships?

Revisiting the past can bring up old issues.

Finding old classmates, friends and relatives on Facebook that you're compatible with can be fabulous. Keeping in touch is important. But why are you getting back in touch with those other people who you never got along with? Those you left behind years ago may have been left behind for good reason. You've changed. So have they. You don't even know each other any more. Getting in touch may spark arguments over unsettled problems that are better left in the past.

Facebook discussions can turn friends into enemies.

Have you ever found yourself texting angrily in “real” life, or being incredibly and unnecessarily rude, only to realize your texts sound like a Facebook comment section gone wrong? There's a reason for that. When you're online a lot of the day, your behavior can't help but reflect what you see and do there. Even if you don't do it yourself. It's a simple matter of behavioral conditioning and desensitization.

Facebook lacks true face time.

It's so much easier to be sarcastic when you're not looking someone right in the eye, isn't it? Plus, the written word doesn't contain the same fluctuations as the voice. It's harder to tell if someone is serious or joking. If you use social networking to advance your career, some Facebook friends are strangers to your real world. It's easier for people to be heartless when they don't have to look you in the face. That can make for an experience that's less than positive.

Facebook brings undiscovered facets of your personality to light.

How well do you know your friends and family? How well do they know you? When I first started posting my vegan, liberal and atheist thoughts on Facebook, I'm sure my family was surprised. They're all pretty conventional. I moved west years ago. They know me as a child, but my views have changed since then. I soon found out that a couple of my relatives and I were almost destined to butt heads due to our opposing views. I suppose we'll never be as close as we once were. Thanks, Facebook.

Facebook memes can be hurtful.

Facebook memes can also be a factor in angering people. This goes both ways of course. I've seen many memes that disappoint or anger me. I'm sure some of the memes I post might get under the skin of those with opposing views as well. What can be done? The thing is, your page is your page. It's up to you what you post there. If you're like me, you like to speak your mind and share your thoughts despite the reaction of others. Still, I have to admit, it's best to keep those memes on the soft side as much as possible. Otherwise, they can ruin your friendships in a quick hurry.


No comments:

Post a Comment